OUR FAVORITE KC AREA RESTAURANTS
Here are some of the best Kansas City Area restaurants. We’re sharing both top rated restaurants and our own personal favorites for dining out. There’s a mixture of American, Mexican, French, Italian, Spanish, Argentinian, Mediterranean, Asian, seafood, steakhouses, pizza, vegan, locally sourced, and of course—Kansas’s City’s famous BARBECUE!
POWER & LIGHT, DOWNTOWN & RIVER MARKET
- The Farmhouse is easily one of the top spots in town. Farm-to-table food with new menus released each season, and the dishes are all creative and simple and SO tasty.
- Il Lazzarone is a pizza shop up in the River Market, and we are such fans! They feature certified Neapolitan pizzas that are made with the tastiest soft dough and are meant to be folded up “wallet-style” and eaten with your hands.
- Le Fou Frog is a bit of France and New York City tucked away in Kansas City’s River Market. Experience fresh and elegant French food, soft lighting, cozy tables, and an unpretentious atmosphere.
- Arthur Bryant’s has been famous for serving presidents barbecue ever since Harry S. Truman was a regular, and truthfully, people haven’t been able to stay away since it opened in 1908. Kansas City’s famed burnt ends were invented here, but we highly recommend the sliced brisket sandwich on white bread. You won’t be disappointed!
- Gates Bar-B-Q has 6 locations, but this one’s the original—where Ollie Gates helped make KC style BBQ famous! Walk up to the counter with a shouted greeting of “Hi, may I help you?” and order some of the best brisket and burnt ends you could dream up. Enjoy, eat, and repeat!
CROSSROADS, WESTSIDE & CROWN CENTER
- Cafe Gratitude serves vegan, raw, and gluten-free options in an organic, clean-eating meal. Needless to say, we are grateful for Cafe Gratitude!
- La Bodega is a local classic must. With its Spanish feel, you will instantly feel transported to Northern Spain, and their menu, of popular tapas caters to socializing.
- The Westside Local is a favorite place to enjoy a nice, seasonal, locally sourced dinner. The restaurant has a beautiful patio out back, very kind and helpful servers, and the food and drink menus are updated seasonally.
- Novel includes a centerpiece bar, topped in white stone, and an 80-foot custom tile mural that evokes New York’s greatest subway station art, but is firmly rooted in Kansas City. Chef Ryan Brazeal and Pastry Chef Jessica Armstrong feature novel American cuisine that is midwestern, familiar, and uncomplicated.
- The Antler Room is an intimate restaurant and bar offering a rotating menu of elegant small plates paired with an international natural wine selection, regional beers and refreshing house cocktails. Dishes are influenced by Mediterranean, East Asian, and Midwestern fare.
- Lidia’s Kansas City occupies a former railroad house just north of Kansas City’s historic Union Station, which evokes the warmth of an old Italian farmhouse. Lidia’s offers a daily three course pasta special.
- Mission Taco Joint starts the day making stone-ground mesa for corn tortillas. Scratch ingredients come together to build their famous street tacos and street-corn “off the cob”, plus a variety of other options to appease any palate. A second location is in the Plaza area near UMKC.
MIDTOWN & WESTPORT
- Room 39 is a unique culinary experience, focusing on fresh, seasonal, and locally grown ingredients. Their traditional theme with heartland flavors makes this a restaurant a date night must for locals.
- Beer Kitchen is Kansas City’s first true gastropub! The restaurant features a carefully crafted beer list, a daily happy hour, lunch, dinner, and made-from-scratch weekend brunch.
- Port Fonda is a home away from home for people that value quality, local ingredients, and creative expressions of authentic, rustic Mexican cuisine.
PLAZA & BROOKSIDE
- Stock Hill has been named one of the best steakhouses in America multiple years. It combines the time-honored heritage of grace, expertise, and polished service with midwestern hospitality and imaginative interpretations of the finest culinary selections.
- Grand Street Café has been a locally owned and operated KC favorite for over 25 years. Their simple, elegant, modern American cuisine creates an exciting experience that shouldn’t be missed! A second location is in Lenexa’s City Center.
- Brookside Barrio is a laid back, taqueria-inspired restaurant and bar offering an array of specialty and Mexican “street” tacos as well as other Mexican-inspired menu items.
- Gram & Dun brings American culinarily-driven fare, while paying special attention to pairing food with libations. It’s a place for people to relax and enjoy the neighborhood vibe. During the warmer months it’s also the best patio in town, making Gram & Dun an enticing Plaza landmark!
PARKVILLE, BRIARCLIFF & NORTH KANSAS CITY
- Trezo Mare serves all styles of handcrafted food with an emphasis on Italian cuisine, fresh seafood, and hard-wood-fired steaks. Chefs construct inspired menus complemented by the flavors of each season.
- Piropos recreates the warm, relaxed atmosphere of fine food served in Buenos Aires, while offering a unique view of downtown Kansas City from the hills of BriarCliff Village.
- Third Street Social is an American restaurant inspired to bring the big city feel to Lee’s Summit. with a menu driven by the chefs’ imaginations, how can you not have something to talk about with friends and family while you’re here?
- Blue Koi is a delicious place to eat that will satisfy everyone’s varied preferences. A dumplings and noodles Chinese restaurant, the menu at Blue Koi was developed to feed the comfort food lover in all of us.
- Rye serves up farm-to-table American fare in a modern bistro. Come for celebrated Midwestern foods, showcased in succulent smoked pork chops, aged steaks, bbq ribs, fried chicken, and seasonal vegetables from the garden. Stay for the freshly made pies
- Páros Estiatorio is a Greek restaurant in Leawood’s Mission Farms. The restaurant serves simply prepared Greek fare with a modern twist, yet embraces recipes passed down from generations.
- Bristol serves their quintessential seafood and steak favorites that have been around for 10 years, plus inventive new dishes, their signature sweet drop biscuits, and cocktails that will make it worth your while to stick around.
- Garozzo’s Italian dining experience is like coming home for a Sunday dinner, because they treat you like family. Don’t miss their signature creation, Chicken Spiedini, which has become a Kansas City staple.
- J. Gilbert’s prime wood-fired steaks and seafood are inspired by namesake and KC restaurant icon Joe Gilbert. The luxe, yet warm atmosphere, the finest cocktails, and impeccable service make it the best steakhouse in town.
- Q39 has some of the best barbecue in town and gives you the complete restaurant experience. The side dishes go above and beyond as well, so this spot will quickly become a favorite! You can also enjoy Q39 at their midtown location.
- Jack Stack Barbecue has been a Kansas City tradition since 1957. With 6 locations across the metro, you can believe it! We’ve focused Overland Park for its central location, but you’ll walk out with a full belly no matter which spot you choose. More than just BBQ, the menu also features award winning steaks, seafood, lamb, and the best hickory pit beans and cheesy corn bake you’ll find anywhere!
- Café Provence is celebrating over 20 years of serving fine French cuisine, with nationwide recognition. Named as one of the top 100 restaurants in the US, top 10 French restaurants in the US, and best restaurant in Kansas City, we highly recommend putting this family-owned establishment at the top of your list!
- Story offers local, seasonally creative American cuisine from Chef & Owner Carl Thorne-Thomsen, a 2022 and 2013 James Beard Semifinalist for Best Chef Midwest. Story features a comfortable dining room, patio, and bar seating
- BRGR Kitchen + Bar brings a fresh adaptation of the most classic restaurant concept around the Kansas City area, and the country’s favorite food, the burger. The classic American foodie will enjoy a value-oriented culinary experience designed with an atmosphere and attitude that doesn’t forget you’re a sophisticated eater.
- Verbena uniquely merges the essential flavors of the Midwest with East Coast heritage. Serving seasonally inspired cuisine, an extensive wine list, craft cocktails, and exceptional service, Verbena offers an unforgettable experience.
- Wandering Vine at the Castle is located in the historic Caenen Castle at 12401 Johnson Drive in Shawnee. The restaurant features wine flights with local and international brands and a seasonal menu that specializes in contemporary American food.
- Silo Modern Farmhouse guests can enjoy hand-made pastas, freshly baked breads, and locally sourced ingredients amidst a breathtaking golf course view. And you’ll want to save room for dessert. At Silo you can have a 32-layer chocolate cake that’s like a slice of heaven!
- Blind Box BBQ serves refined barbecue in a modern, relaxed atmosphere, with smoked meats curated in a custom smoker named Lil Juicy, and they specialize in crafted bourbon cocktails. Need we say more?
- The J Bar serves new American cuisine with foodie flair – blending fresh ingredients in unexpected ways. Savor your meal in the restaurant or take it outside to The J Bar’s patio. And don’t miss expertly crafted cocktails from their mixology menu
KANSAS CITY, KS
- Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Que is famous for getting its start in a little neighborhood gas station at 47th and Mission Road. Today you can still get the most authentic experience here. Even though there are locations in Leawood and Olathe now, we recommend you head to KCK, and get in line at 10:30 am (to avoid the crowd that will be there by 11:00 am), and order yourself a Z-Man (pictured above)!
- Carniceria y Tortilleria San Antonio serves the finest street tacos in the metro area. You’ll likely have to stand in a long line to get your meal, but it’s well worth your wait
- Jarocho combines an ultra-casual seaside vibe with upscale dining. Enjoy seafood creations by Chef and owner Carlos Falcon, who pays homage to his childhood in Veracruz, Mexico.
KANSAS CITY AREA RESTAURANT GUIDES
You can also find more in the KC area guides below, or read about our KC area brunch favorites on our BLOG.
Feast Magazine | Kansas City
IN Kansas City Dining Guide
Kansas City Restaurant Week